Friday, May 16, 2008

No time to say hello, goodbye,
I'm late, I'm late, I'm late

On Tuesday morning, my alarm went off (as has been typical of late) at 5:35 a.m., so that I could get up to swim before heading to work. And per my norm (of late), I proceeded to turn my alarm off and re-set it for 6:45, so I could sleep instead of swim. In my half-awake state that morning, I inadvertantly hit some button, which was upsetting as it meant I had to wake up a wee bit more just to make sure I hadn't screwed up my alarm clock. After determining that things were good with the clock, I re-set the alarm and went back to bed.

Some amount of time later, I awoke and looked at the clock. I read it as saying 7:15, which caused a mild panic in me, as not only was I now on the verge of being late to work, but also because my alarm should have gone off (as well as a snooze or two) 30 minutes earlier. So I rapidly escaped my bed, showered, got dressed and out the door (yes, nearly that succinctly, as well).

As I walked out the door, a wee bit behind my normal departure time and just past the half hour, I noticed that the temperature outside was cool. This I appreciated greatly, as it's been rather warm of late here in South Florida, and the failing of my car's air conditioner has only exacerbated my awareness of this. The drive to work seemed pretty much normal. Normal employees at my normal 7-11 stop. Traffic on the roads was a wee bit lighter, which I attributed to snowbird season being over, and I managed to have some incredible luck with the multitude of stop lights I go through.

I arrived into the office parking lot, which was vacant as normal save for the boss's car, a few minutes before the hour. I wandered into the office, said hello to my boss (noting that he hadn't yet turned on the t.v.), and went to my desk.

As I entered my area, I checked my watched and noted that it read 6:58. I was glad to be there before the hour, but perplexed as to why my watch was still on Central Time: I thought I'd returned it forward an hour upon my return from Austin last week. But assuming I had just missed changing the time on my watch, I pulled it off and re-set it as my computer booted up.

Just after I got my watch back on, I glanced at the time on our phone system (which has not been adjusted yet from the Daylight Savings change back in March) and it read 5:56. My gaze then shot around 180° and up to the wall clock mounted just above my door; it read 6:58. I turned my head back around toward my now up-and-running computer and the time there was 6:59, thus solidifying and confirming that I was indeed an hour early to work (also that my clocks weren't synced).

I'm stunned. I'm relieved. I'm bummed. I'm perplexed. But, I accept it, and decide to get to work (the extra hour would be useful, and I really didn't have time or the gumption to go somewhere for the hour). The day ended up being a wee bit hectic, anyways (one of my co-workers was out all week, and I was helping cover for her absence) so on some levels I was glad for the extra time. In the sparse slower times throughout that day, I pondered where I'd messed up; by the end of the workday eventually settling on the fact that must have moved my clock's time an hour ahead with that half-awake mis-hit button push when the alarm first went off. Which held until I got home from work, and the time was right....

So now I just figure I sleepwalked through the whole trip to work (cause I also didn't catch the time on my car's clock)....

I'm late
I'm late
For a very important date
No time to say hello, goodbye
I'm late, I'm late, I'm late

No comments: