Sunday, August 30, 2009

Come join the party, it's a celebration

I am back in Fort Lauderdale after a rather busy trip back home to San Antonio. The main purpose of my going was to attend the retirement party for my club (swimming) coach. I had missed a similar fĂȘte this past Memorial Day weekend for my high school coach, as I was working in Chicago the day of the event. However, for this one, I was able to secure a day off from work (Friday), despite our main annual event being just over a week away. The actual party was great: I got to see so many people that I have not seen in many years. It was good to get caught up, and hopefully, reconnected (although Facebook is a great help here as well).

I noticed two rather perplexing things this weekend:

  • At the party, I arrived and ended up parked in one location for the just over two hours I was there, as people came over to chat. It was quite nice, but to those on the other side of the backyard, I am sorry I did not make it over to y'all.

  • The other perplexing thing that I noticed this trip has to do with the flights. Have y'all noticed that while online and on your boarding pass, the exit row is called "Exit Row"; but in the announcements at the start of the flight, the row is identified as "If you are sitting in a row designated by a sign stating 'No Children in this Row'...." This baffles me. While this demarcation is present on the window of the aisles involved, it's only on the window. It's not on the back of each seat in the row, nor is the window sign that big. It really can't be seen from the aisle, unlike the large "Exit" signs on the doors, nor probably any seat other than the window seat. How would someone not in said row know if they were or were not in an actual "No Children" row?

So, I am perplexed. But I did have a good time at the party.


Think about it, doesn't matter, and if
It makes you feel good then I say do it
I don't know what you're waiting for

No comments: