Tuesday, March 14, 2006

But I'll wait for something more, 'cause I gotta have faith

Well, because it's apparently Pi Day (3/14--get it?), I thought I'd mention another Pi...

<--this one, here--the one named after a pool. Now, I picked up this book because I really like the cover... mostly. Actually, I'd seen it for a few months (maybe a year), and had heard that it was rather good. And it is.

Upon finishing the book, I needed to talk to someone about it. Not so much wanted to, but needed to. Mostly because of how it ends (yes--you need to read through the whole thing to get it, and, if you've not read it, trust me, it can try your patience).

Anyways, this book about a young Indian boy who spends the better part of the book adrift in the blue Pacific Ocean on a white lifeboat with an orange tiger (hence the cover). As I've explained to some, this book makes me look at the notion of faith.

Not "Faith" of the Buffyverse, or even George Michael's variant--why would I ever question those??? Actually they might refer closer than I'm thinking... but I digress. No, more so the notion of faith as in any belief... and not necessarily in terms of religion.

Actually the brilliant thing to me about the book is that it transfers a religious-type-faith to a non-religious topic, while also addressing religion (there's symbolism in all those colors, apparently).

Anyways, it's interesting for me, as someone who does not brook much religion.... On that note, I should be getting on to some other writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten the "pi" = 3/14!!! Sometimes you think you'll never forget!

nph

Anonymous said...

and I forgot to mention that I think Life of Pi really calls for a broadened definition of faith--as you said. I, too, found when I finished it that I wanted to talk about it, but that talking about all the abstraction is pretty hard.

mph (same as previous--the "n" was a typo)