Friday, March 31, 2006

I'm on tonight, you know my hips don't lie...

So, I'm sitting at the Fort Lauderdale airport awaiting a flight to Houston, where I'll connect to go to Seattle (I have a meeting this weekend there), and I'd thought I'd blog what with the free wi-fi et al.

Anyways, I was surfing the net the other day, and came across a story which I wanted to share. The National Trust for Historic Preservation wants to save Pilar, the boat which helped inspire Ernest Hemingway to write The Old Man and the Sea, as well as the rest of his estate, Finca Vigia, just outside Havana, Cuba. They've even put name Finca one of their most endangered sites, the first outside the U.S.

So, the a foundation raised enough money to restore the boat, but then ran into a problem: the current U.S. embargo against Cuba. According to this article, the funds gathered in the U.S. can't be spent in Cuba because to do so would be to support Castro. So, instead, the Cuban government (lead by Fidel), is paying for the restoration...

Interesting, no? But alas, I now must board my plane.


And I'm on tonight
You know my hips don't lie
And I'm starting to feel it's right
All the attraction, the tension
Don't you see baby, this is perfection

No comments: