Monday, September 10, 2007

Hey... this kind of trouble's only just begun...

A long quote from a long book...

'What do you think?' shouted Razumihin, louder than ever, 'you think I am attacking them for talking nonsense? Not a bit! I like them to talk nonsense. That's man's one privilege over all creation. Through error you come to the truth! I am a man because I err! You never reach any truth without making fourteen mistakes and very like a hundred and fourteen. And a fine thing, too, in its way; but we can't even make mistakes on our own account! Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. In the first case you are a man, in the second you're no better than a bird. Truth won't escape you, but life can be cramped. There have been examples. And what are we doing now? In science, development, thought, invention, ideals, aims, liberalism, judgement, experience and everything, everything, everything, we are still in the preparatory class at school. We prefer to live on other people's ideas, it's what we are used to! Am I right, am I right?' cried Razumihin, pressing and shaking the two ladies' hands.

-p.276, Crime and Punishment (Part 3, Book 1)
by Fyodor Dostoevsky
translated by Constance Garnett


(and, yes, I'm still wading through the 721-pager; "crime" has occurred, "punishment" has begun...)


I tell myself too many times:
'Why don't you ever learn to keep your big mouth shut'
That's why it hurts so bad to hear the words
That keep on falling from your mouth
Falling from your mouth

No comments: