Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Late last night, I heard the screen door slam;
And a big yellow taxi took away my old man

On the way home from today, I was reminded of a lyric injustice done by the Counting Crows when they re-recorded Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi. In the Counting Crows version from 2002, the line of the song from which the title originates loses its rhyme completely.

Instead of Ms. Mitchell's creative rhyming of slam and man:

Listen late last night I heard the screen door slam,
And a big yellow taxi took away my old man


The Crows give you:
Listen late last night I heard the screen door slam,
And a big yellow taxi took my girl away


How does "away" rhyme with "slam"? It doesn't, I tell ya!

Ahhh, sometimes I just wish he'd had the cajones to leave the lyric alone... of course then a guy would be singing about a guy leaving (and that just wouldn't work--oh, no: major catastrophe). I guess it's one of those things you notice because it's gone...

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone
They pave paradise, put up a parking lot

1 comment:

The Kid In The Front Row said...

he actually sings 'heard the screen door sway'