Wednesday, October 07, 2009

It seems like everywhere I go
  The more I see the less I know

Things that have come to my attention this week since my return:

  • Michael Franti & Spearhead's Say Hey (I Love You), the video for which was filmed/is set in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
  • Coincidentally, Rio was elected to host the 2016 Olympics on Friday. Interestingly the IOC mentioned wanting to recognize South America, even though for IOC-sport related purpose, South America is part of "the Americas" (and not a separately-recognized entity from North America). (The IOC also picked last week to relaunch its website, moving everything from where it could be found to someplace "easier" to find it... course one now has to find it again. As I haven't located the announcement on its website, no link is here.)
  • and an interesting observation/quote:
    "To think, in non-Olympic years, swimming is normally as visible to the American public as Pluto."
    (FINA--the international federation that oversees swimming--decided to re-post the USA Today article that had this.)

Which reminds me, TIME had an article on Rio a week/so ago about the city's 2016 bid (entitled "Can Brazil's Rio Handle the 2016 Summer Olympics?"), connecting it to its 2007 hosting of the Pan American Games....


I say hey... I'll be goin' today
But I'll be back from around the way

No comments: