Sunday, October 04, 2009

Let me hear you sing once more, like you did before;
 Sing a new song Chiquitita

ABBA's Chiquitita was stuck in my head (or, rather, 2 lines of it) as I awaited my delayed departure from the Houston airport today. This caused me to listen to it a few times while awaiting the flight and reading my current book, Muriel Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog. (Though the two quotes below are actually from the parts I read after getting on the plane and while seated in the exit row on said delayed flight back to Fort Lauderdale.)

First, a haiku (with it's syllable count presumably lost when translated from the original French into English) from the book:

Who presumes
To make honey
Without sharing the bee's fate?

Second, a passage (from p.192):
....And secondly, a teenager who pretends to be an adult is still a teenager. If you imagine that getting high at a party and sleeping around is going to propel you into a state of full adulthood, that's like thinking that dressing up as an Indian is going to make you an Indian. And thirdly, it's a really weird way of looking at life to want to become an adult by imitating everything that is most catastrophic about adulthood...

And with that, and the fact that my plane came in an hour late and I've only got a wee bit more to read in the book, I will leave you for tonight.


Chiquitita, you and I know...
How the heartaches come and they go, and the scars they're leaving...
You'll be dancing once again, and the pain will end...

No comments: