Sunday, May 21, 2006

En la distancia te puedo ver,
 cuando tus fotos me siento a ver

Greetings from Hong Kong!

Actually, to be more precise, greetings from Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island--which is where my hotel is-->across Victoria Harbor from Kowloon. (And on the Causeway Bay page linked above, my hotel is just a couple blocks from this street, which I was on today.)

Things here go well. I arrived late afternoon on Thursday, and other than a brief trip yesterday afternoon into New Territories to visit the Hong Kong Sports Institute, I've not been off this island since my initial train ride from the airport (which is located on Lantau Island-->confused? map here).

I have even managed to see about 5 McDonald's nearby. (Yes, I've eaten there already--the 2 Chinese meals I have had have been, let's say, interesting; so much that it drew me to more Americanized food, i.e. McDonald's and the Outback Steakhouse that's nearby. Haven't hit the Pizza Hut or KFC; though I'm not sure if I will... things are never exactly the same as they are in the U.S.--the McDonald's has menu items served on rice cakes (I think) instead of a bun, and I'm not exactly sure what's between them--not been that brave as yet.)

In any case, my lack of touristy visiting has primarily been due to my preparing for a presentation, which I'm partially through at the moment (4 more hours tomorrow). After finishing up Sunday with it, I am hoping to become a turista on Monday, prior to my return stateside on Tuesday. We'll see how it all goes...

Actually, most surprising is that I am not having massive jet-lag, particularly since Hong Kong is 12 hours ahead of the East coast (it's midnight here in H.K. and noon in FL). And as it's so late, I will bid you good night...

(And just in case you're wondering, as my Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese are non-existent, I am working with the other language of Hong Kong, English--a hold over from British colonial rule which ended in 1997--after my last visit here in 1993. Because I don't understand either Chineses, I've been having moments of wanting to speak Spanish, maybe in preparation for next week's visit to El Salvador--who knows. Oh, and in case you're curious, the language issue is probably effecting my presentation, in addition to some cultural differences...)


Cada vez que te busco, te vas
Cada vez que te llamo, no estas
Es por eso que debo decir que tu solo en mis fotos estas

No comments: