Sunday, June 15, 2008

Having a good time, baby; wish you were here...

Greetings from Grand Cayman. At the moment, I'm recovering from yesterday's Flower's Sea Swim, which I and 635 other folks did yesterday along 7 Mile Beach (pictured at left and below right). The race was 1-mile, and started toward the southern end of the beach (left) and finished about mid-way up (in the right picture--the white tents on the sand are next to the in-water finish), next to the Governor's house.

Overall, the swim went well. The course was a straight line, paralleling the beach. Water temperature was nice: cool, but not cold (and not warm). Peskily, we swam into the current, which made for rough going but surprisingly flat conditions. I managed to come in second, just a hair behind first--which was nice. I also didn't win any of the cool door prizes (curses--and I was pulling for the trip to Rio), nor did any of my friends who came down from Fort Lauderdale with me (despite the fact that one of their numbers was "I 1", and we agreed that she should have one something, just because of her number).

As for today, my friend Alex took me on a driving tour of the eastern part of the island, around along the coast all the way to Cayman Kai on the island's north side. Was good too see, particularly as the western part of the island is considerably less developed than the western peninsula, but has some amazing looking water.

My trip here winds up tomorrow, when I head back to FtL in the afternoon. I may try to get out and about in the morning, but will see how things go. In any case, have a good Father's Day and hasta...

And you can't do a thing to stop me
(Can't do a thing to stop me, now)

1 comment:

Reid said...

2nd place!!! I'm ashamed for you ;)