Thursday, April 16, 2009

As I peer through the window of lost time

Greetings again from the Fort Lauderdale aeropuerto. Today, I am headed to Lincoln, Nebraska (via Atlanta then Minneapolis), as the YMCA Masters Nationals get underway at the pool. And again, I await my flight out of FLL.

Unusually, I have a later morning departure today. This created a minor problem in that I couldn't find a ride to the airport. However, the later time allowed me to test out an alternate way to the airport (from bumming a ride from a ride, driving myself--and paying $15/day to park--and parking, or grabbing a cab--$20): taking the bus ($1.25 per bus). And the bus ride went alright.

So last night, and with the help of Google Transit, I plotted out my ride. The local bus system has a route (Bus 1) which runs from the Central Terminal in downtown FtL to Aventura Mall down in Miami-Dade County. I was given 2 options:

  • walk 1/2 a mile and catch a bus that would take me to the terminal, and then I'd transfer to Bus 1; or
  • walk 1.3 miles to the terminal, and catch the bus from there.

I opted to walk directly to the terminal, and go from there. So, I woke up this morning, got dressed and showered, and walked out the door just before 8 a.m., toting my luggage (which luckily wasn't too heavy; the temperature was also slightly cool, which helped as well). It took me about 30 minutes to get to the terminal, with stops for milk and bagels on the way. I got to the terminal maybe 5 minutes before the 8:30 bus arrived, which I got on and which got me to the airport 25 minutes later (slightly early).

All-in-all, not too terrible, though managing the long walk with a heavier bag probably wouldn't be fun...

But in any case, I now sit at the airport, awaiting my delayed flight... (and I'm hoping the delay won't screw up my connection in Atlanta).


Reflections of, the way life used to be
Reflections of, the love you took from me

No comments: