Saturday, April 11, 2009

Nobody calling on the phone,
 'Cept for the Pope, maybe, in Rome

I found this article online today:
No strength in numbers for America's uninsured

It's about the fact that the number of people in the USA without health insurance has increased to a sizable percentage of the population (it's more than AARP-->gasp), and despite this, doesn't have a PAC (basically). The article also mentions that politicians are reluctant to move toward helping insure those of us who aren't because of a lack of political benefit it will generate.

As one of the uninsured, here's a few points I'd like to make:

  • If I had the money to fund a PAC, I'd probably spend the money on insurance. I don't, and therefore can't/don't fund either. (After paying my monthly bills, I've got about $300 left over for food and gas for the month--and whatever other "fun"/"life" things happen. My co-pay for my work's heath insurance would eat $200 of that.)

  • I would most likely be loyal to those Congressmen who did make affordable insurance available to me. However, this would be more so because I think it's the right thing to do (and less so because I see them as doing something for me). Of course, my past history doesn't bode well for my loyalty being of any value: in most of my past cases, it's not been my representatives who have led (or participated in) the charge on the things I care about--typically its people from elsewhere (the last time I wrote to my Congressional reps, one had the completely opposite view of mine on the issue at hand... which was fine. It's ok for them to have it--that's part of the beauty of our country. I still don't like the fact, and I think I may have been more amazed by the attempt to convert me to their thinking that I received in response.).

  • As for the insurance for all bill, I also don't think it's incredibly likely that it will be done--the other side does have a very strong PAC (the funding of which might help explain why insurance payments are so much...).

It's things like this that make me ponder whether/not I should run for Congress, myself (the thought tends to pass through my head rather rapidly). But for now, I think I'll get to watching some more Joan of Arcadia, and hope for my continued good/decent health (After returning the season 1 DVDs to the library, I checked out season 2. I'm pondering doing a marathon watching for tomorrow.)

Have a good Easter weekend.

What if God was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make His way home?

No comments: