Thursday, November 05, 2009

Music of the night


Remember, remember, the fifth on November...

Greetings from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (well, actually North Myrtle Beach) where I am for some work stuff this weekend. And in what may be becoming a tradition for me on Guy Fawkes Night, I have just finished watching V for Vendetta. Watching the moving has calmed me somewhat from the craziness I had upon my arrival here.

My flight up today went rather smoothly, but getting from the airport to the hotel was interesting. I knew prior to leaving that I would need to find a ride to the hotel from the airport. Prior to my arrival at MYR, I thought that meant I would grab a cab. However, faced with at $50 fare to the hotel--and the shock of it being that much--I decided to check into renting a car, instead. I ended up finding and renting a car as it was on par to a taxi to the hotel and back (I do need to get back to the airport on Sunday).

I then proceeded to drive towards the hotel. About 20 minutes into the drive, and halfway there, the road I was on completely blocked off--all 5 lines of traffic. A fire engine was blocking traffic from my north-bound direction and police cars about a block away covered the south-bound lanes. With no parking lots to cut through to get around (and several cars attempting to do so in the one parking lot nearby), nor any parallel streets, I was at a loss as to what to do. In a unfamiliar city, at night, and the one route I knew would get me near where I needed to head, shut down. (And strangely, there was nothing in the road... rather the police seemed focused on things adjacent to the road.)

Thankfully, I had snagged a map at the rental car desk and from that I found an alternative route (which only require a wee bit of backtracking to get to). And so a few hours after my flight's arrival, I walked into my hotel under an unusual red, mostly-full, moon, the full moon being just 3 days ago on Monday.

At the front desk of the hotel I found my reservation didn't start until the next night (the hotel adjusted my reservations); and it was then that I remembered a few things I'd completely blanked on and left back at home.... (After a minor worry attack and having watch the aforementioned movie, I'm now planning to resolve said things maƱana--particularly since it was too late tonight upon my arrival to really do anything about them).

Hopefully the weekend will go better.


Nighttime sharpens, heightens each sensation
Darkness stirs and wakes imagination

No comments: