Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Why do you keep coming a-round, playing with my heart

A local radio station has switched over to its Christmas music format already; I heard it while at lunch today. It is a over a week before Thanksgiving. This is disgusting.

Now the "appropriate" term for the station isn't "Christmas", rather it's a "Holiday" formatted station. 'Course this allows them to justify that, as Thanksgiving is a "holiday", it's ok for them to overrun it with the holiday after it.... I'm surprised the countdown to Christmas hasn't started on their station; although maybe it has, and I've just not heard it since I'm now purposely not listening to the station. Nothing gets me out of the "holiday" spirit faster than entities (like stores) who try to start the Christmas season as early as possible to maximize sales to we, the consumers. They are also the ones who stop the holiday season abruptly on December 26: 12 days before Little Christmas. The radio stations will do it too. Actually, I'm surprised the radio stations even make it through December 25 playing Christmas songs....

So, hello radio stations: it's now 9 days till Thanksgiving! (stop making it be 38 shopping days to Christmas). And likewise to the grocery store that switched out--for All Saints Day on Nov.1--the Halloween candy for Christmas items on the shelves right when you walk in; or the mall store that already was piping in Christmas music on during the Halloween night trick-or-treat event in the mall.

But back to the radio station: I feel compelled to call into the station and request a Thanksgiving song... and let them figure out what that is. Or maybe I'll request Auld Lang Syne (maybe I can get them to skip right over December all together).


Set me free, why don't you baby
Let me free, why don't you baby
'Cause you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin' on

No comments: