Thursday, December 10, 2009

Up on an airplane

Greetings from Columbus, Ohio, where I am at for work through the weekend.

The weather I heard earlier reported that the low here tonight would be 11 °F. Shortly after this, it was also mentioned that Miami had a record high of 91°, making me all the more glad I am here for the high in the mid-20s. (I miss cold weather, actually; and it's strange to me to have to have my air condition on in December.)

It reminded me of what happened yesterday book-ending my flight up here:

  • At 8 a.m. in Fort Lauderdale, I sweated as I walked in pants and a polo shirt to catch the bus. (I did get "glove" service from an elementary school crossing guard: she held her gloved hands up in the air, holding off the early morning traffic as they stopped to let me cross)
  • My flight into Columbus was on a smaller plane, so when we landed we were too low to warrant a jetway to our door. As we disembarked from the plane, it was to the outside and a brief walk into the terminal. It was probably around 27° out (I could see my breathe), and I willed myself to be warm ("I am warm, I am warm" being the mantra) as I thought about my jacket being packed in my checked bag....

There was also a pair of Navajo code-talkers on my flight out of Florida, just a few rows ahead of me (which was also cool).


I never should have read my horoscope
Or that fortune on the bubble gum strip
Saying, "What you think won't happen, will."
Great thing to read before a trip

No comments: