Monday, January 09, 2006

Heaven holds a sense of wonder

"S", apparently, is for Silence... at least in Sue Grafton lore. Not swimming, slice, slick, stupidity, séance, sticky or slimy; but silence. Which I guess is the best word to use.

For those of you not familiar with Grafton's work, she is the author of a series of mystery novels, centered around a private detective named Kinsey Millhone in a small town in, I believe, central California. The series is known as the "alphabet mysteries", as the books began with A is for Alibi, and has steadily progressed to the point where she's now on S.

I, myself, have been hooked on this series sense the time of about C (Corpse)--thanks to my sister, who started reading then, stopped around D (Deadbeat) and then about a year ago began reading then again (she's going to catch back up). I gave up trying to guess what letters were to stand for, maybe about, M (Malice), when I though for sure that M would be for Murder--after miserable attempts at the previous letters. (I was pulling for "Matt" but that didn't happen. probably just as well, the 'Matt' in question would've done some terrible, and then where would I be?)

And since the books have been coming out since I was in middle school, they've kinda intertwined with my life, to the point where I have memories associated with some of the books (e.g. my friends Kathy & Karen got me Q for Christmas a few years back--thanks guys.).

That's about all, I guess... time to traipse toward tomorrow... ta-ta (course T probably be won't for testimony or trial or turmoil--since I just guessed those). It's off to the pool: thankfully the air temperature is back up, guess Saturday morning's 50s during practiced sucked. It didn't help that the pool had gone from 79° the night before to 76° in the morning...


And I wanted to believe
That I'd get caught up
When the rage in me subsides...

1 comment:

Matt said...

I so forgot about: "Snape" and "snitch" and "severe"; stupid...