Monday, November 19, 2007

Now there goes the neighborhood

Wow, it's been a week since my last post... and I'll blame the space between postings on:

  • the craziness which apparently is the selection method for how the Olympic sailing classes get selected (in the news recently because a class is being cut for the 2012 Olympics, and it appears that the catamaran "Tornado" class is out--the only multi-hull in the Olympic regatta). This editorial on the class selection has some enjoyable quotes, such as:
    "If the IOC applied similar logic, Kickball and Hide-and-Seek would be Olympic sports."
    "Ahh, logic, that would be nice, wouldn't it?"
    "On the plus side, there's no need to have a sailing section at the Olympic Museum in Lausanne, Switzerland. Just send people to the 2012 regatta..."

  • Regular tennis shoes (aka sneakers) apparently being banned from the swimming competition at next year's Olympics (FINA's "Apparel Guidelines" state that there can be "one identification of the manufacturer per shoe". When was the last time tennis shoes had only one company i.d. on them? I checked out my Reebox's today and each shoe has 5 references to the company: logos on both sides, name on the outside, logo on the heal and tongue.).

  • There was a clinic I attended/ran on Thursday and Friday (no catastrophic problems--yeah!!!!--but it did dominate a bunch of time of late).

  • Oh, and I'm now not only on page 700 of Crime & Punishment, but I've also gotten to the Epilogue (so I'm almost done; though I didn't really read all that much of it this past week...).

So, yeah, that's why I've not posted since last Monday... and I'll finish off for now and go read. hasta

Hey let's party, let's get down
Let's turn the radio on, this is the meltdown
Get out the camera, take a picture
Drag queens and the freaks are all out on the town

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and I've re-started Finnegan's Wake. I guess now that I'm getting the hang of it, I should figure out what's going on.

mph