Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Turn my head with talk of summertime

So, shortly after I got home last night from the Panthers hockey game, it started raining here in Fort Lauderdale (say around 11 p.m.). And it was not a light rain, in fact it was quite heavy.

Now an interesting aspect about the rain that I've experienced here in South Florida is that it has never really been consistent. Sure, during the summer it will rain daily for 30-60 minutes in the early-mid afternoon, and on occasion a day will have a few waves of rain. But those rains are usually fairly light, and pass through.

The bizarre thing about today's rain is that it's now 10 p.m., and it's still raining and hasn't really stopped since last night at 11 when it started. It's also been fairly heavy all day. Adding to this is the fact that it's not really rained here since September/October sometime....


In other random-news, over the weekend, swimming federations in Chad and Djibouti became members of FINA. This prompted me to wonder if the latter is supposed to be pronounced "Did ya booty", as if one where asking about some cool new dance craze one might do. Strangely enough, Wikipedia's entry on the country (linked above) has pronunciations in Arabic and Somali, which while they may be the official languages of the country and therefore the official way to say the country name, doesn't really help me too much (given my grand lack of knowledge of the 2 languages).

So I looked the country up in my trusty dictionary, only to be dismayed to see that there, the "d" was not only not pronounced, but the "ji" apparently is really a ji sound (rather than ja), and so the country's name is "ji-boo-tee". Not nearly as fun--pesky silent d! Course it does help that the capital city is also named Djibouti, so one could be from or in Djibouti, Djibouti (Did ya booty, ji booty).

Promise me that all you say is true
That's all I ask of you

No comments: