Monday, March 30, 2009

But what I know now, it's not always a happy ending

The Horns, they put up a valiant effort and good fight; but, alas, twas not enough.

After leading for most of this weekend's NCAA Men's Division I Swimming & Diving Championships, the Texas men's swimming & diving team (those aforementioned "Horns") finished second at NCAAs on Saturday. Final team standings:
1. Auburn--526
2. Texas--487
3. Stanford--460.5
4. California--350 (the Cal women won the women's meet last weekend)
5. Florida--324

But, in relation to the meet I'm less perplexed/dismayed by the Horns finishing second, than I am by the relays. Texas set American Records in 4 of the 5 relays, with the only relay not broken being one held by the Texas club team that had 3 event World Record Holders on it at the time. The fact that 2 of these relays finished 4th (200 Free-1:15.90) and 5th (200 Medley-1:23.97) is what is baffling to me... (the 2nd place finishing 400 F.R.--2:47.02--less so, and the winning 800 F.R.--6:10.16--even less).

The records, themselves, don't phase me so much (thanks you suits); the places, however (which are due to at least one non-USA swimmer being on each relay ahead of them) do.


But hey, look at me, I don't feel like cryin', no-woah

And who said, love is a game?
And who said, love can be gambled, gambled away? Yeah

No comments: