Monday, December 05, 2005

Ring, ring, ring goes the telephone

The lights are on, but no one's home... Well, actually, someone's home, the phones just aren't actually ringing yet. The phones are supposed to go operational today, but I'm not holding my breath that they will. [Note: The phones actually did go up the next day.]

As for the weekend, it went well. I finished reading The Moviegoer on Saturday, so I'm now back to reading The Republic (I'm reading other books between Plato's "books"--i.e. chapters--to help manage getting through it). Actually, I've only got about 30 or so pages to go, so I may just power through the 2 remaining books and be done with it, possibly in time for my trip home for Christmas (so I can return it).

Why am I reading The Republic, you may ask? Well, kinda stupidly, it's because I wanted some insight into the cave scene in The Matrix Reloaded. Interestingly, more than just the allegory is applicable from Plato's work in the trilogy... maybe I should've taken a philosophy course at some point.

But, anyways, back to the weekend:
On Friday night, after swimming, I headed out with some fellow FLA Masters to see Æon Flux. Now, I've liked Æon (pronounced "eon" if you're wondering) since originally spying it on MTV years ago, and when I saw Charlize Theron in the role I was a tad dismayed. Mostly because in transition from animation to live-action Æon lost her way-cool ram-horn-esque coif, but also because the look of the film seemed off...

So I went into the movie a little concerned that things would be off, and they were, but I ended up really liking the movie and feeling that it was true to the original series. Now whether or not this is because I don't truly remember the shorts or because the movie actually is true to the intent of the show, I'm not sure.

The movie also cleared up a lot of questions I had about what was going on or why such and such was there--like why a fly caught in someone's eyelash was at the beginning of each show. And the cinematography junkie in mean was very happy with the look of the film. The fact that the show's creator wasn't directly involved in the movie didn't seem to effect things too much (which, in a way is sad, although I believe is o.k. with the adaptation).


Other than the movie and book, and I did some Christmas shopping (I got a moose for my sister), and helped another friend move a ridiculously heavy entertainment center into her second story apartment (and a much lighter chair and desk). Oh, and I also tried to sabotage clean up her computer, but was only partially successful--and thankfully, I was able to undo some of what I did to make it function again.

Now if only I'd get going in getting back to rowing. I've got to get a hold of the place first, which necessitates a phone...


[ really posted on Thu.Dec.22.05 ]

No comments: