Saturday, January 20, 2007

We'll have nothing to lose, we'll have nothing to gain, just to stay in this real-life situation

snarky, snarky, snarky...

So, I'm sitting at one of my usual hang-outs, grabbing some post practice breakfast (having snuck in just before they stopped serving it). At the booth next to mine is mom, dad, 2 young kids (a boy around 3 and a girl maybe 5), and grandma. The adults are seated on the outer part of the table, effectively trapping the kids in--one on each side of the table--and leaving them to fidget in place.

My attention is first dawn to the little boy as he enters the booth. While doing his cursory inquisitive review of his surroundings, he spots the cookie I've placed on my table. This, not unexpectedly, causes the boy to start ogling said cookie, and him making sure his parents know they have cookies here (and most of the neighboring tables, due to some increased volumes and a decidedly much more "outside voice"). The cookie occupies his attention for maybe 5 minutes, long after I stopped trying to pay attention to him.

My attention is next drawn to the table when both the boy and his sister are playing with the window shades. My brief glance only really catches them lifting them up so they can see what's on the other side, so I don't know if they were doing anything else to the shades (like trying to pull them down).

My attention strays from their antics after a few seconds, and is not drawn back to the table until a minute or two later when I pick up the mother talking to grandma with veiled contempt (similar to here) about how at some other restaurant, the family had been asked to leave because the children were playing with some jello. Now, both parents felt that this behavior was not inappropriate for where they were, that the kids were "behaving". Of course, this discourse is occurring while both kids are standing on their seats, attempting to climb out of the table and onto the sill running next to the windows, and playing with the window shades...

Just another entertaining meal in Ft.L.... Anyways, I should be really psyched to go back to SA on Wednesday, but it's not yet really sunk in, just yet. And speaking of Psych... the show started back up last night (now if only it would makes it way to iTunes so I can download and watch it--ooh, but apparently I can watch it online which I'll do now... hasta).

(And now I really need to leave before I start providing commentary on the nearby mother broadcasting that her son didn't deserve the "F" he got in Algebra I: he went to school everyday and did his homework... More wisdom: he got a D in Spanish, which she's attributing to the fact that his class was in the afternoon--"you can't learn a language after noon: you're brain just doesn't function that way then". Her solution is to send him to Costa Rica this summer [where's a rolling-eyes smiley when I need it!]. And just in case you're wondering, he did well in his Web Design and History classes.)



As the day, hits the night
We will sit by candlelight
We will laugh, we will sing
"When the Saints Go Marching In"
And we will carry war no more

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the entertainment value of other people and their kids!

mph