Sunday, March 18, 2007

Traveling, traveling, leaving logic and reason...

Little blue, informational signs have sprung up on one of the more heavily traveled streets here (Federal, aka US Hwy 1). And like the Travelodge one at left, they seem to be highly redundant, with a tendency of being located right in front of the business's own sign. It's like an on-going visual echo as you drive down the road.

At least with the Travelodge, there's just the one business. In front of some of the strip centers, there's a flock of signs: 5-8 blue rectangles aloft next to each other--seemingly jockeying one-another for lead position. At one center, there's signs for "IHOP", "Post Office", "Super Cuts", "Eyewear Optical", "Melting Pot", and--my favorite--"Exotic" (the last I believe is a pet store, although it might be a description of the grouping...).

In any case, they seem like overkill, and it's good to see my tax dollars at work on such a valuable service. I mean, someone could get confused in the 3 feet between signs and business, or something. Actually, they don't even really help you get to the item in question: at the "Exotic" grouping, the signs are actually after the last entrance to the parking lot. Mostly, there just helpful in blocking the signs of the businesses, and in letting you know you've gone by it.


(Traveling, traveling) I'm traveling
(Traveling, traveling) Leaving logic and reason
(Traveling, traveling) I'm gonna relax

(Traveling, traveling) In the arms of unconsciousness...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So now I understand what you were talking about with blue signs. Yes, I've seen them, and yes they are pointless... but I had an "ah ha" moment when I read your blog. See ya tomorrow!!!

Heidi