Thursday, January 31, 2008

I'm not gonna write you a love song

Sara Bareilles's Love Song has been in my head of late... which is semi-fitting, given the general non-love I've read about online this week.

There was this article where author Mel Stewart demonstrates some Michael Phelps love via a bashing of Australian swimmer Ian Thorpe--Melvin's article is a response to a comment by Thorpe about Phelps bettering Mark Spitz's 7-gold medals at 1 Olympics performance of:
"I wish him all the very best. I don't think he will do it, but I'd love to see it,"
(though I'm not quite sure Melvin read all that, or just the spun headlines like "Phelps won't break Spitz's gold record - Thorpe")

But to throw some Thorpe-love out there, Mel does seem to miss a few important bits, like the difference in popularity of swimming between Australia and the USA (e.g. I don't believe I've seen a picture of Michael's house on the cover of National Enquirer, though I do remember seeing one of Thorpe's...). And then there's the minor issue that Thorpe doesn't seem to mind if Phelps does break the record; he's just not sure it's realistic. And I would need to agree... particularly since the 100 fly figures semi-prominently within the 7 or 8 events Michael would need to win, and, as a former swimmer at the University of Texas, I have to side with a fellow Longhorn (and current World Record Holder in the event) Ian Crocker winning the event.

Outside of Thorpe (who, by the way is running the Olympic Torch while it's in Australia), there's some other stuff apropos to the song as well... a suit against the U.S. Army Corp. of Engineers regarding failure of the levee's post Hurricane Katrina has been denied--which I think is only right (I believe the Corps tells people not to build/live in flood plains; for people to sue them for flood damage seems a bit off). And on Tuesday I voted in Florida's Democratic Primary--though the party isn't acknowledging the primary (when did Hillary drop the "Rodham", by the way?). Oh, and, I survived my 1-hour Postal Swim last Saturday, although doing a wee bit less than last year (5,087 yards).

But it's all good... I guess.

If your heart is no where in it
I don't want if for a minute
Babe, I walk the seven seas
When I believe that there's a reason
To write you
A love song
Today

No comments: