Sunday, February 15, 2009

Calls to mind the silver screen, and all its sad goodbyes

What is going on with movie ticket prices? Yesterday, I went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which I quite liked.

I went to see the near-3 hour movie at a matinee showing... and paid $7.50. $7.50! I remember the night price being $6.25 a few years ago... course the night price here is $9.25 (it just went up last month from $8.75, which was also outrageous). The other day, I contemplated whether I should work at one of the theaters to a concession stand worker, to which she responded that they only made minimum wage. I pointed out that making minimum wage, and not having to pay $9 to see a movie would be more than ok.

And while on the topic of movie prices, what's even worse: some of the theaters here are going to 1 matinee a day. Apparently, gone are the days that matinees went to 6 p.m. everyday. Now, it's 6 p.m. Monday-Thursday, and 4 p.m. on Friday-Sunday.

I hope the theaters don't wonder if attendance is down....


To the heart and mind
Ignorance is kind
There's no comfort in the truth
Pain is the horror you'll find

No comments: