Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My yesterdays are all boxed up and neatly put away,
 but every now and then you come to mind

Today marked my 1-year anniversary at work: I started a year ago on October 10--last year it was Columbus Day, rather than the day after, though. All in all, nothing terribly exciting to report... I did get to test out my new parachute at practice. Nice, but not much on the exciting though.

The only other item of note from today was that I stumbled upon another article about James Madison University dropping its men's swimming team, and nine other sports, to come into compliance with Title IX. The most interesting thing about JMU's situation to me is that the school, itself, is way out of gender proportion: it's 61% female and 39% male. This is the parallel the JMU Athletics is aiming to match.

The U.S. population is 51% female, 49% male--according to the U.S. Census Bureau. As this is the case, why isn't Title IX (which is about gender equality in education) working to rectify the school's inequality? And couldn't men's sports teams be used to help address this trend?


Butterflies are free to fly and so they fly away
And I'm left to carry on and wonder why
Even through it all, I'm always on your side

No comments: