Saturday, February 03, 2007

You better, straighten up and fly right... cool down, Papa, don't you blow your top

On Thursday night during practice, I was swimming next to one of my teammates who was doing backstroke. We were going along when suddenly I notice her surge forward, coinciding with her hand closest to the lane line entering the water--a tell-tell sign of her hand having pulled on the underside of the lane line upon entry.

Now there is a lane-line drill, but generally speaking pulling on the lane lines is frowned upon. One, because it's not legal to do in a meet: it turns the stroke into a who can pull more effectively rather than a swimming stroke. Two, the lane lines aren't really constructed to take the pulling--they're there to stop waves and help confine us swimmers who'd go all over the place otherwise--and break from relatively low numbers of repeated tugs (one in some types of lane lines). And three, because people can move down the pool faster by doing it, it's frowned upon (it's equivalent to cheating).

So, after we finish up the swim and we're both sitting on the wall, I ask her how the lane line was. She confirmed that she had been caught, offered a token excuse for the behavior, and then said (jokingly) that she "better straighten up and fly right". This line caused the song of the same title to come into head, and I mistakenly assumed she was referring to the song.

I then proceeded to start singing about the buzzard and monkey, which prompted a question from Ms. Lane-Line about my crazy-speak. When I explained I was reciting the lyrics to Straighten Up and Fly Right, she said she didn't know the song....

Anyways, I should go: must get to tidying up my place prior to my housewarming this afternoon. Hasta...

The buzzard told the monkey, "You are choking me.
"Release your hold, and I will set you free."
The monkey looked the buzzard right dead in the eye
And said "You're story's so touching, but it sounds like a lie."

No comments: