Sunday, July 15, 2007

Another suitcase in another hall

Scenes from airports...
FLL, IAD, AMS, EBB

As of 10 p.m. local Uganda time (about 2 p.m. in Florida, I think), I am checked into my hotel in Kampala. This is after 24 hours of travel...

FLL
My trip started around 11 a.m. at the Fort Lauderdale airport (FLL), where, after checking in for my first flight (FLL-->Washington Dulles) with United, I headed outside and over to Terminal 1 to attempt to check in with KLM (at the Northwest counter) for my second (DC-->Amsterdam) and third flights (Amsterdam-->Entebbe). I mention my trek between terminals because by the time I'd made my roundtrip, I was sweating massively (it was probably 90° with 90% humidity) and because I wasn't able to check-in for my second flight. (Polk Majestic, who made my reservation, had apparently purchased 2 separate roundtrip tickets: one domestic; one international. As they were separate, the one confirmation number I had check me in for the United flight, and didn't work for the KLM flights--and the ticket counter staff can't check people in on flights that don't originate there... they were nice enough to change my seats though.)


IAD
After cooling down, grabbing some lunch and attempting to check-in online (your flight doesn't originate here, please check-in with the flight origination...), I eventually caught my 1:40 p.m. flight to Dulles (IAD). Upon arrival in D.C., I was a little worried/frantic: I had an hour to find my next gate/flight, which I didn't think I was checked in for. My worry wasn't relieved by the fact that at Dulles I couldn't locate a departure screen with my flight on it; United flights--yes; flights arriving--yes; map of restaurants within the terminal--yes (3, I believe); information about where I should go--NO.

After blindly hopping one shuttle to change terminals, a brief chat with a fellow confused transient, and a chat with a knowledge shuttle driver on break; I was headed toward what turned out to be my gate (pictured above; the driver knew from where the flight left from memory--I was impressed). Upon visiting the gate counter, I had my remaining two boarding passes and about 20 minutes before boarding...

My trans-Atlantic flight didn't go ideally. While the seat next to me was empty (yes!), the one in front was not... which wouldn't have been such a bad thing if the person it it had not reclined fully a quarter into the flight. The angle the chair was at made it impossible for me to sit in the seat and be able to see "my viewing screen" that was on the back of it. I was, however, able to see that my reclined forward neighbor was watching Hercules. Added to this was I ended up not being able to fall asleep on the flight.

My eventual frustration drove me to a minor contortion act which allowed me to view the screen (and put one of my legs to sleep), so I watch Pan's Labyrinth for the last part of the flight.


AMS

After my sleepless (overnight) flight, I arrived at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport (AMS) around 7 a.m., Sunday morning, surprisingly awake. It wasn't until the end of my 4 hour layover (where I saw the fish mobile above, as well as the interesting smoking warnings on the cigarettes in duty-free--at left), as I was waiting to board my last flight, that I started to get sleepy. I managed to stay awake long enough to find my seat, and then crashed and slept most of the flight 8.5 hour flight. I did manage to wake up about mid-way through the flight, as we flew over the north Africa coast and the Sahara, though.

EBB
Upon arrival at Entebbe airport (EBB) around 8:30 p.m., I waded through immigration and then managed to find my ride (Peter and Moses) in the throng of people waiting outside the terminal's gate. After a 45-minute drive, around Lake Victoria (not really close enough to see the lake, save at one point--but it was also dark), we arrived at my hotel here in Kampala, the Grand Imperial Hotel.

My clinic starts tomorrow morning... so I must go and make final preparations for that. Hasta...

So what happens now?
Where am I going to?

No comments: