Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I feel it, it's coming, rain...

Well, I have managed to take a few brief jaunts out-and-about here in Uganda and remembered to take my camera with me. And now that I've downsized the pictures enough so they should hopefully load, I bring you...
Scenes from in and around Kampala

I'll start with a picture of my hotel (behind the palms, at right), from outside. It's located within Kampala's banking district: a Standard-Charter bank is directly across from it, down the street is the headquarters of East Africa Development Bank, behind us is the Uganda high court, and the tall building on the left hand side of the picture is actually the (Federal) Bank of Uganda.


After today's class, I was driven around town and also visited the country's only 50m pool in nearby Munyoyo (a picture of the pool is available here). Part of today's tour included a trip up to the top of one of Kampala's 7 hills, where the Kibuli Mosque sits, along with it's giant mango tree [at left].


From the left minaret of the mosque, I snapped a sequential panorama shot of the city itself. The first of the 5 is at right, showing the part of town I'm staying in (I'm just to the right of the tall building with the blue middle section).

I visited the shores of Lake Victoria, as well [pictured at left]. The picture is from the Speke Resort--where the 50m pool is--currently undergoing a massive expansion in preparation for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting which will be in Kampala in November.

And while out at the lake, I visited a more typical Uganda town on the lakeshore (Ggapa, if I've remembered correctly), and snapped a picture of its fish market [at right]. The partially cut-off sign to the left is a list of rules/recommendations about how to treat the fish population of the lake, part of which included not using explosives to kill them...

Well, I must jet, as net time here dwindles... hasta


I'm gonna stand out here on the mountain top...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pics!!!
Thanks
^^
00
\/ mph