Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Sunny days, where have you gone?

Thunder BITES!

Last night's swim practice was stopped about 10 minutes before it actually began (6:04) due to thunder. I'd gotten a 400 in when we were booted out of the water by the safety-zealous lifeguard staff due to thunder in the area. It didn't even really rain for another 30 minutes or so: I was already home and attempting to go online when the rain came and screwed up my connection.

And then tonight... well, tonight was a wee bit stronger. Actually, a lot stronger. It came later (around 6:45) so, we'd gotten about half our practice in. The sky was just black: it reminded me of Ghostbusters--when the clouds come rolling in. Worse, the storm could easily be called a torrential downpour, and with it was a strong wind that started bending the metal poles holding up the temporary awnings on parts of the deck (and removing some of the straps holding their tarps down) and some nice, close lightning.

Which made me glad that when I did finally venture out in the less-heavy rain to get to my car, I hadn't parked on the side of the lot that turned into Lake Hall of Fame. This was semi-made up for by when I got in my car, and I couldn't really see out my front windshield as my front defrost is only semi-working due to lack of chilling by the air conditioning... ahhh, the fun.

But the post-practice FLAM (Ft Lauderdale Aquatics Masters) dinner was decently attended--despite 'Deth and Vane ditching out--and we had a good time. And it wasn't even raining up in POM-pa-no (Pompano Beach), where we went to Friday's. Strange, no? Given that it's only like 10 minutes away. And while on the topic of rain, I hope the flooding in Texas is slowing down: my rowing buds in Austin report they've been off the lake due to high water for a month/so...

Why does it always rain on me?
Even when the sun is shining
I can't avoid the lightning

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FLAM dut duta FLAM dut duta, let the boys be boys