Thursday, July 19, 2007

Blue... oh so lonesome for you...

While there is not a U.S. fast food joint around, Harry Potter does exist [at right] and at the moment Beyoncé's singing, "to the left, to the left" on the radio. (The Pan Am Games are also on t.v., which is strange 'cause I don't think they're really on in the U.S....)

Strangely, there is apparently not a McDonald's in Uganda; nor Burger King, KFC, nor Taco Bell... but I've seen some Clear Channel billboards. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've been out of the country and not seen some American fast food places around (there was even a McDonald's in the Amsterdam airport).

Also interesting is the prevalence of US music here on the radio. It's even in restaurants, like the other night at dinner I managed to hear a slew of country songs including LeAnn Rimes's Blue and some song where the singer kept saying they were from "San Antone" (I think it was Clint Black, but am not positive).

Things continue to go well... had another driving tour yesterday, and saw the Ugandan Parliament building [at right]. Also saw the interesting turning walls [above left] at one of the hotels here....

Well, I will sign off here by mentioning that the city is Kampala after one of the hills here that the British named "Hill of Impala" due to the antelopes originally in the area. In Luganda, the language of the local Buganda population", the hill was called "Kasozi ka Empala" which got nicknamed "Ka'mpala"...


Three o'clock in the morning, here I am
Sitting here so lonely, so lonesome I could cry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Still lovin' the update & pics!
Thanks!!!
mph