Sunday, July 22, 2007

That God blessed the broken road, that lead me straight to you

As part of my tour of Jinja and the River Nile yesterday, Moses and Peter (my hosts) took me to see a place called Amber Court [the main entrance is pictured at right]. The building was once part of the British Colonial compound, I believe where the barrack was housed.


They brought it to my attention as it was where Queen Elizabeth II stayed when she last visited the country in 1954 [view of from the front/road]. She had come to Jinja for the opening of the Owen Falls Dam, which is where Uganda gets its power.


The building was interesting to see: it's run down to the point that it looks distressing, even the 25 yard pool [at right]. But the structures are still sound, and probably still able to be returned to their former glory. They probably will not be, and the site will continue to degenerate... this, even though HRH might pay a visit to the area when she returns to Uganda in November for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting...


Some other pictures from yesterday:
Planted fields of sugar cane edge the remaining portion of a tropical rainforest which has yet to be cut down to allow for more planting.




Behind a road lined with vegetation, a hillside is cultivated with a tea.





Some of the local, large birds, hang out on a golf course overlooking the arm of Lake Victoria which leads to the Nile.

By the way, have I mentioned the strong prevalence of religion here? I also heard Bless the Broken Road yesterday while at lunch... and it got stuck in my head.

Anyways, I leave tonight for my journey back... 20 hours of flying: I can hardly wait.

I set out on a narrow way, many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushin' through

No comments: