Friday, August 24, 2007

Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...


Scenes from Acapulco...
Thursday and Friday were spent in Acapulco, Mexico, with me in attendance at that Mexican Swimming Federation's annual meeting and convention. Pictures from the trip:


My trip down to southern Mexico (Acapulco is on the Pacific Coast of Mexico, basically due south of Mexico City), started with a flight to Houston, where (after some breakfast tacos) I hopped on the rather tiny plane at left (there were 3 seats per aisle) for the other flight. The flight attendant (only one) was in good spirits for the flight: she even lip-synced to the announcement at the beginning of the flight (seatbelt, oxygen mask, etc.).


Upon arrival at the Acapulco airport, there was about a 20-30 minute drive to the hotel. Rain in the area--from the dissipated Hurricane Dean--dropped a bunch of water on Thursday, apparently. On my way into town from the airport, the van I was in ran into a traffic jam caused by a pick-up truck (in the center of the shot) carrying dry cement under a tarp, getting stuck in a pot-hole hidden by a large puddle of water in the road.

The solution? A larger truck got in front of it (pictured) and repeatedly backed-up into the pick-up to push it out of the hole (which eventually happened): it looked like the large truck was ramming the smaller one. And the cement did seem to be falling off the back bed, and all the way traffic (like the large red bus) kept getting impatient and went around the pick-up being pushed.... (At one point, I thought the pick-up would get pushed into the bus.)

Upon arrival at the hotel [above right], I got checked in after some running around trying to determine who I needed to check-in with first: the hotel or the conference I was attending. It turned out to be the latter, and the conference people had actually picked up the key to my room already.

After heading up to my room, however, I was rewarded not only with some decent A.C. (which helped quell the sweating that hard started in the open-air lobby), but also a nice view of the bahía... [at right].

I even managed a brief swim in the bay--the water was warmer than I thought it would be.


Overall, my day-and-a-half here has been good. I even managed to see the local cliff divers [at left] tonight. They dive from 30-40 meters up the cliff, into an inlet of ocean water into the coastline. The width is about 10m wide, and the water's apparently 4m deep: not something I'm anywhere near wanting to try, but cool to see.

Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away
Just say the words and we'll beat the birds
Down to Acapulco Bay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a nude beach?

mph

jarret said...

which helped quell the sweating that hard started in the open-air lobby - HUH?