Saturday, August 04, 2007

Ooh, it's kinda crazy, I’ve been thinking maybe

According to my listening to CNN at work this week, the only thing that happened in the world was that a bridge collapsed in Minneapolis. Or, at least, that was what CNN chose to cover, solely, Wednesday through Friday. While it is definitely tragic, it also seems tragic to me that with 24-hours of airtime to fill, the only thing deemed worthy was that bridge. Did we, America, really need to know every 30-60 minutes how the flow of the Mississippi River was changing? I think not...

It might have been pertinent to know why the U.S. Cabinet meeting was called, rather than that they also talked about the bridge (a late-add to the agenda). Or another story: cyclone headed to Southeast Asia, Bush signing a new Homeland Security bill, that Eddie Murphy got Scary Spice pregnant, that lightning killed 141 people in China last month, or how the disappearance of Pakistan's Indus River delta seems a lot like the Mississippi River delta... anything. Call me crazy.

Actually, it's just kinda sad to me that with all the expanded news coverage now available, the diversity of stories seemingly has decreased: we're not getting news about more things going on in the world, but rather more details about the stories we already had.

And to think: I drove across that very Minnesota bridge back in April. Maybe I could be interviewed by the local news here: about how I safely traversed the bridge and the ones I go over everyday...

(please note, I'm not trying to belittle the deaths that occurred, but I do think the coverage has gone overboard, to the point that I'm wondering if they are purposely covering it instead of something else...)


Ooh, it's kinda crazy
I've been thinking maybe
Gotta get you out of my mind

No comments: