Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Floating in the summer sky, 99 red balloons go by

For whatever reason, the opening of Nena's 99 Red Balloons popped into my head over the weekend, right after I finished potting my tree (at right). It was somewhat strange, in that I'd not heard the song, nor its German counterpart in a while. To suddenly have "you and I in a little toy shop..." going through my head randomly throughout the day seemed quirky. (My German's not good enough to have "Hast du etwas Zeit fur mich" going though my brain.)

And then tonight, while I was eating dinner, the song serendipitously came on--as I was wondering why the English version was being played, when the original German version was the one that was successful in the U.S. So I went to wiki, which led me to find out that the English lyric content differs from the German--there's no toy shop at all! It also helped explained what I knew of the lyrics--I had never pieced together what balloons had to do with a war starting.

Anyways, just thought it was interesting... but now I must go and water my fledgling tree. hasta


You and I in a little toy shop You have some time for me
Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got Then I sing a song for you
Set them free at the break of dawn Of 99 balloons
Till one by one they all were gone On their way to the horizon

No comments: