Thursday, December 28, 2006

In the day, in the night, say it right, say it all

My brother-in-law sent me a mummy.

Well, actually, he sent the screen pictured at left--but it was entombed like a mummy. Thankfully, at least I was expecting the entombment. It came in this huge box, taller than my front door, conveniently with rope handles (which also somewhat prevented opening the box)--very like a sarcophagus.

Then--once the ropes had been cut, the box opened, and the insides removed--the screen was wrapped in some styrofoam sheeting which needed to be cut off (which wasn't so terrible).

Once that was gone, I just had two straps to remove and some plywood boards. Now the 6 boards proved to be a massive pain, thanks to their being wedged between the feet and screwed together. Granted, they did prevent the feet from breaking (which I'm grateful for), but it also took an hour to get them off: between cutting the plastic ties that held them together and unscrewing the 3-inch (I believe) bolts. (I had to take a calm-down break in the middle of unpacking, so that I wouldn't break it trying to unfold the screen.)

But, now it's unpacked, and in place, and looks great. I just need to get used to it being there :)

Thanks L+D

Oh, and I'm liking Nelly Furtado's new single: Say It Right (which, of course, because I like it, means I won't hear it on the radio... ;)

You either stand or you fall
When your will is broken
When it slips from your hand
When there's no time for joking
There's a hole in the plan

No comments: