Sunday, December 28, 2008

Islands in the stream, that is what we are

Holiday greetings from Florida. I flew back to Fort Lauderdale today from San Antonio, and while the Italian mother & son I sat next to from Houston to FtL and the husband and wife who managed to miss their flight while sitting at its gate are interesting, I am most intrigued today by another individual who I happened upon earlier than both those.

I arrived at Terminal 2 of the San Antonio International Airport at about 6:15 a.m., for my 8:15 flight to Houston connecting to FtL. Whether because of the holiday travel or perhaps the hourly flights on offer to both Houston (Continental) and DFW (American--which displayed it as "Dallas-FTW" for some reason, rather than "DFW" of "Dallas/Fort Worth"), the line awaiting security was full. While it was moving relatively smoothly, I still was there long enough to notice a guy in his late 20s/early 30s in line behind me and the minor stain he had on the front of his shirt, catching the latter right about the same time that he noticed it.

A little while later, I was through security and had advanced to the restrooms in the gate area. After having relieved myself, I pass by the sinks, just as the aforementioned guy takes off his shirt and begins to try to clean the stain. As I headed out the restroom, I was admiring him not only for the buff torso he revealed in taking off his shirt, but also for his diligence to clean the stain.

The last I saw of him was a bit later as he was walking around the terminal, presumably in search of his gate. There was a rather large wet spot splashed across the upper right quadrant of the back of his shirt.

(The lack of holiday music on the radio--3 days after Christmas!--has me utilizing Islands in the Stream as today's subject, which I got from the Bee Gees CD I got for Christmas--this would be rather than a carol. I'll try to remedy this inadvertent succumbing to society's complacent acceptance that the holiday season is over, simply because Christmas Day has passed, and use a holiday song in my next post. And yes, I said Bee Gees: they wrote the Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton duet, later reworked as Ghetto Superstar. I also just realized that I've yet this year to listen to any of the holiday songs in my iTunes... so they are now playing.)

Everything is nothing when you got no one
And you walk in the night
Slowly losing sight of the real thing

No comments: