Thursday, December 18, 2008

So close, yet so far away

The other day, I was texting a friend of mine in Austin. While plotting a dinner get-together with my former rowing crew, crewÜ (and doing a spectacular job of restraining myself from pestering encouraging said friend to sign up for Facebook), I tossed around the idea that the dinner could be for a group that promotes random usage of umlauts, and proceeded to include an excessive amount of the diacritic in the remainder of the text.

There was a slight snag though: my phone let me put the umlaut on all the vowels, save "e". So the text looked something like this:
"Cool, cool. Maybe we should turn the dinner into a meeting of the 'Söcïety för the prömötïön öf ümläüts', and also fete the Nöel."

Ironically, my phone wouldn't let me put the one correct umlaut into that sentence: over the "e" of Noël--mÿ cömpütër döësn't hävë thät lïmïtätïön; thöügh (Ï cän ëvën püt thë cïrcümflëx övër thë "e" ïn "fête").


So close, yet so far away
We believe in tomorrow
Baby more than today
We're so close
So close, yet so far away

No comments: