Saturday, April 28, 2007

I saw the sign and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign

About 4 months ago, I put a box baking soda in both my fridge and my freezer, in an effort to quell the smell in them (mostly the fridge part). This has worked; however, one of the two has also become somewhat of a science experiment, as the pictures at right (from today) attest (the box in the freezer is Dr. Jekyll; the fridge is Mr. Hyde).

As near as I can tell, the crystalline growth on the outside of the box is the baking soda (or some reactant of it). My guess at the cause is an on-going accumulation of water in the fridge. The water may be present due to some cracked door seals, although this may not be the only cause.

After some research, and due to our disposable U.S. culture, I found out that it would cost more to repair the existing issues (somewhere in the $400-$500 range was the estimate) than to buy a new fridge. Consequently, today I went in search for a new fridge.

My search ended at Sears, where I found the Kenmore at left, fitting the dimensions of my old one (and looking highly similar). Even better was that Sears was having a 1-day sale today, and all Kenmore appliances were 20% off. So the normally $480 fridge was $384. Course, after taxes, a delivery/pick-up fee, and a 3-year service plan, the total cost was actually $620; but would it really be an authentic major purchase if a substantial part of the cost where put on the product? Of course not.

So I now have until Tuesday to prepare for my new fridge's delivery. Just enough time (hopefully) to eat what remains in the old and make a path for the movement in and out. I should start doing so now... and watch some more Arrested Development.

I saw the sign
And it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign
No one's gonna drag you up
To get into the light where you belong
But where do you belong?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you're laughing out loud while reading Baja Oklahoma!!!!

mph

jarret said...

Thank goodness you ordered in when you had us over!