Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Fever! till you sizzle, what a lovely way to burn (?)


<-- I felt like that bear last night, after practice.

The reason? Well, for whatever reason the water temperature of the "west" pool we swam in was above 83° (83.1, I believe). This is "warm" for a pool: it's a temperature that when you get in the water, it doesn't feel cold; more cool. This is a problem, because as soon as you start trying to swim at all, the water isn't cold enough to help cool you off. In fact, it begins to feel warm (and yesterday it took all of about a 100 to for it to feel warm). All of which just meant potential trouble for any really hard swims we might do.

So, combine this warm water with the main set we swam (3x 900 @ 13:00), and you have the right ingredients for overheating: prolonged periods of exercise generating body heat with no real way to dissipate that heat.

By the end of the set, I was a tad warm, but thought I was ok. It wasn't until about 30 minutes post practice, that I started to feel a little off. I wasn't really hungry, so didn't eat dinner but drank some liquids instead. Then when I got home--about an hour post practice--I started having cold shakes (even though it was 80°), so I briefly checked on some things, drank some Gatorade, and then proceeded to go to sleep at 9:30: without the A.C. on, in full bed-clothes and under a comforter.

And slept until I awoke at 5:30 in a sweat, which I took to be a good thing since I was not sweating the night before. The time was actually near-perfect for me to go swim, but due to the circumstances, I decided to skip trying to swim this morning. This made my second skipping in the row--I missed yesterday morning because some mental insomnia kept me awake until 3 a.m... ahhhh, such fun. Did I mention I've got Yellow Fever activating in my blood? (from the vaccination) Oh, but on the plus side, the pool temperature was down half-a-degree today, and, more importantly, our practice tonight was in the colder pool (the east pool's was at 79° today...). Heidi was also there--woo hoo!

Hasta...

Now you've listened to my story
Here's the point that I have made
Chicks were born to give you fever
Be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That's right... I was there! And yes, the pool felt much better than yesterday!