Sunday, June 03, 2007

You think I could muster up a little soft-shoe gentle sway,
 But I don't feel like dancin', no sir no dancin' today

Summer has arrived... the Jacaranda trees are in bloom (at left; there's a purple variant as well), the Atlantic Hurricane season has officially begun, and Tropical Strom Barry blew through the area on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Interestingly, I didn't think of Barry as being much; and really wasn't aware of it being more than just rain here. It began raining around 8 p.m. and just kinda got harder as the night wore on. It was windy, as well, but we've been having some good winds here for the past couple weeks.

I did have some power surges on Friday night, my power even having gone off briefly around 1 a.m. (just long enough to cause my alarm clock to need re-setting). And apparently, although I didn't awake for it, there was a strong push through around 3 a.m., as well. I found this out while swimming Saturday morning practice (36x50 @ 1:20, every 3rd one from a dive).

The sky was completely overcast through mid-afternoon yesterday, with rain happening off-and-on while I was helping Laura move to Boca. It even provided a break while we moved things in.

But it wasn't until I was driving around later yesterday, after the sky began to clear up, that I started noticing trees that had blown down (like those at right). Interestingly, it wasn't like every tree was down, but there seemed to be one down at four or five places I went to. They mostly looked like ones that have been planted since Hurricane Wilma so maybe they hadn't had enough time to take root, but it was still strange.



Cities come and cities go just like the old empires
When all you do is change your clothes and call that versatile
You got so many colors, make a blind man so confused
Then why can't I keep up when you're the only thing I lose?

No comments: