Sunday, June 10, 2007

Sunrise... at this moment in time, is it in your mind at all?

My weekend in Maine is over... err, well actually my Friday afternoon and Saturday in Maine: I think my leaving the state this morning just after sunrise disqualifies it as being a "weekend".... But in any case, a recap:

Friday started with an early morning flight (6:30 departure). Interestingly, upon my arrival at the gate (around 5:30 a.m.) the airline credit card booth was already staffed--at that terribly earlier hour. Even worse, the woman manning the booth kept repeating "15,000 dividend miles. Real quick to fill out. Take a moment; come on over." about every two minute. Her consistency in phrasing and her intonation was such that she was squawking like a parrot... (and this Polly did not want a cracker).

The flight up to Boston was uneventful: the plane change in Charlotte even was smooth. I picked up my rental car, the Chrysler Pacifica at right; and managed to make my way to I-95, via U.S. 1, marking the second time that day I'd been on 1 (I took it to the Fort Lauderdale airport in the morning: it's always weird to me that notion of the same roads being so far away... that they're connected but disconnected. Both 95 and 1 are down here and were up there...).

Once on 95, I headed north to Maine, and along the way managed to have a conversation with my Dad while in 3 states (Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine). It may not seem like such a big deal to some, but growing up in Texas, one usually can't leave the state in the time I was on the call (around 50 minutes) let alone be in 3. (Though the NH part was only about 20 minutes long.)

In any case, my call with my Dad ended when I left the "Maine Turnpike" (95's name in the state), and started on a more rural state route [at left]. While picturesque, it was more of a highway (i.e. it had stoplights) and down to one-lane each way. I also needed to pay attention to the roads coming up, as I was looking for my turn. But, I ended up finding the place without problem, and the clinic Friday night and Saturday day went smooth.



Saturday...
Post clinic I headed into Portland [at right] with the clinic's organizer and some of her family to see the town as well as the ocean and track down some lobstah. We headed to the downtown/waterfront area, and found a place right next to the harbor.

Where we ate was actually fairly small, but quite good. It was right on the harbor--the picture at left is out the back window of their main eating area. It was almost like a wooden diner on a dock, except with stool-seats at the tables. Their buzzers to let you know your food was ready were shaped liked lobsters as well (the initial picture in this post, way up at the start, is of one of them).

Post dinner we took a short walk back through the waterfront area, included walking past the U.S. Customs House [at right--the white building] in the fading light, before heading back to where we stayed (which was about a 30-minute drive southeast of Portland). And headed to bed.



Sunday...
This morning, I was up early enough to see the dawn [at left]... which happened around 4:15 a.m. (or at least that's when I took the picture--I'm guessing that it was so early due to how far north Maine is).

I was up so early--4 a.m. to be exact--as I needed to get on the road to Boston, Mass. to catch my 9:20 return flight to Florida. (I actually had my alarm set for 4:30, but when I woke at 4:00 I just got up and got on the road.)

In the 2 hours of driving from southern Maine to Boston, I got to see the sunrise [at left]. Actually, it happened before I even left Maine or got onto I-95. It did happen while I was on ME-109 , which was after I almost got lost (at 4 in the morning): I missed a turn (which ended up simplifying the number of roads I needed to take).

But all worked smoothly this morning/today (maybe a good astrological day?). I got to Logan Airport early, which gave me time to not worry about delays in waiting for the rental car shuttle bus to the terminals nor the hour to check-in my bag. And my flight, itself, despite boarding not starting until 20 or so minutes before flight, not only left on time, it managed to arrive in Fort Lauderdale 30 minutes early.

And the early arrival allowed me to get to the pool in time to swim the 1500 at today's June June meet... which, while not a stellar swim, I did manage an 18:09 with a nice descend in pace. Now... hopefully, I'll get enough sleep tonight: will have to see... hasta.

As I look into your eyes I see the sunrise
The light behind your face helps me realize
(Sunrise...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pics!!!

mph