Friday, June 01, 2007

I looked above the other day, cause I think that I'm good and ready for a change

The picture at left is from the Nelly Furtado concert my friend Vanessa took me to on Wednesday night out at the Seminole Hard Rock--that's Nelly with her left arm up in the middle of the stage. (And actually, I'm quite surprised anything can be seen: when I took the picture it looked like it was going to be like my "Beach at Night" shot from a few weeks ago...)

The concert was good: I even enjoyed Promiscuous when it came up--which, given that I don't particularly like the lyric to the song, is somewhat impressive.

She opened with Say It Right followed by Turn Off the Light and then, I think, Powerless (Say What You Want)--if I'm remembering the order correctly. And that mixture of her albums stayed through the show (those 3 songs are each off a different one of her 3 albums).

Other memorable bits...

  • a version of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy, which she's apparently recorded as well... (the song's been stuck in my head of late made it really nice to hear);
  • massive audience participation on I'm Like a Bird and the Spanish-language songs she did (as well), one of which was...
  • Fotografía, which, strangely, she sang the Juanes part of but not the part she sings in the duet (Vanessa was impressed I knew as much of the lyrics as I did);
  • her back-up singer doing a decent version of Justin Timberlake's SexyBack, right before Give It to Me, which JT sings part of; and
  • the pièce de résistance: a seemingly off-the-cuff curling reference/joke, which I'm pretty sure half/most the audience missed (Vane--did you hear/get it?)

I do wish, however, that she'd done the original version of Turn Off the Light, instead of the hip-hop'ified remix she did... but all-in-all, a way cool time. It even counteracted the foul mood I was in upon leaving work on Wednesday. And speaking of work, I completely blanked on the title to Light the next day at work, even right after I had been singing part of the lyric (probably the part below)...

Now, if only it hadn't been cloudy last night so I could've seen the blue moon. ("If only, if only," the woodpecker sighs...)

I live my life by the moon (by the moon)
If it's high, play it low
If it's harvest, go slow
And if it's full then go...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't get the connection between "If only, if only" and Holes?

mph