Wednesday, June 13, 2007

It's like thunder, lightning; the way you love me is frightening

Random list time again, I feel, so here goes...

  • Scarily, apparently the IOC is considering adding skateboarding to the Olympic program (it would be a discipline of cycling) (that's a lot of -ings in a row as well...). It almost makes me cringe when I think about it (snowboard cross and BMX's inclusion does as well). The thought is that adding skateboarding would attract youth to the Olympics; though it almost sounds to me like NBC has asked then to steal the X Games. The IOC's already proved that they'll bend tradition for the USA's broadcast partner: they are the reason swimming finals next year in Beijing will be in the morning there. Of course NBC's coverage of the Olympics is already driving me--an Olympics fan--away from watching them, so adding skateboarding is just another step away (like showing the entire Olympic basketball tournament, and ignore 50 other events to do so--there's a reason I don't watch the NBA but do watch the Olympics, you know). The IOC's also apparently going to create a "Youth Olympics", beginning in 2010.
  • $210 today bought me 4 vaccination shots for my trip next month to Uganda: my final shots in the Hep-A and Hep-B sequence, Typhoid and Yellow Fever (my Tetanus is current). $210...
  • My car key got stuck in my ignition for about half the day... (it's unstuck now, thankfully).
  • After getting roughly 4 hours of sleep, after watching Pride & Prejudice with Keira Knightly--which I quite enjoyed--I managed to get up and swim 3,600 meters this morning. Which I was thankful I did do, as we got thundered out of practice (there was some lightning as well, but the thunder got us booted from the water way before it) about 5 minutes into it. It's probably just as well, cause hopefully I can get to bed earlier because of it.
  • And to close out... tomorrow is Flag Day here in the USA.
hasta

You better knock... on wood

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I totally agree with the olympic program becoming so commercialized. I'll stay up for 16 days to watch everything, but now it's just getting terrible with skateboarding.

Heidi