Tuesday, November 07, 2006

C'mon, c'mon, no one can see you try...

After some initial difficulty this morning, I managed to track down my polling location and vote after work.

Now some people have wondered why more people vote for American Idol than in elections. Well, just for an example, I've watched Idol maybe once in my life, and in that show I knew exactly how and where I was supposed to vote--after just 1 viewing.

For today's election, I had to...

  • investigate whether/not I needed my voter registration card to vote (I didn't--just a photo i.d.),
  • find where to vote (which I didn't find on the State of Florida's website, nor on the Broward County website, but instead I found the link I needed to the page on the County site by going to the local newspaper's website--reminded me of how the most effective way to search Microsoft's site is to not use their search feature. And topping it off was the fact that the County website's mainpage, which had a news section, didn't even mention the election! There was a banner add about 3 things the County had on the ballot, but no link the the "Supervisor of Elections" plainly available, nor found in a search for "elections").
  • once I got to the Supervisor of Elections site, I then managed to find my polling location based on my address, most helpful, as well as a copy of the ballot I was voting on, also helpful.

Course, I couldn't find hours for the polls, but I did manage to get there before they closed and made a semi-educated vote--not voting in some races simply because I knew nothing about who was running, and wary of just voting along party lines.

But all was better cause I got my "I Voted" sticker--so I'm happy. Now, I wanna find out how many of my friends voted today... work wasn't looking very good (only like 50% there).

This sugarcane, this lemonade, this hurricane
I'm not afraid
C'mon, c'mon no one can see you cry

This lightning storm, this tidal wave, this avalanche
I'm not afraid
C'mon, c'mon no one can see me cry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did! (#:2)

mph

Anonymous said...

I did too!