Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Now we are shivering, blue ice is glittering (cold, cold, cold)

Yesterday morning I was reminded of Guatemala...

My alarm went off at 5:35, I scampered out of bed to turn it off. I threw my suit and some clothes on, grabbed a bite to eat, and hopped in my car and drove to the pool. I didn't really feel the temperature until I was standing on deck--I'd mistakenly worn windpants, which weren't being very effect at block neither the wind nor the cold.

So after shivering on deck for a wee bit (5-10 minutes), I disrobed down to my suit and plunged into the water. Now, I probably actually woke up when I got in the water, which was not warm. Luckily, it was not the coldest I've ever been in, that current honor being held by Guatemala City's Zona 5 pool from early December 2002; but it was certainly reminiscent of that.

But after the initial chill upon getting in (and for the next 200/so), I got warm enough to keep going and stayed moving enough to keep comfortable for the whole hour I was in. I even managed to get 41 (long course) in, which was good... (that would be 4,100m); so all-in-all, not bad.

It was on my drive home from the pool (around 7:10) and to work that I heard the temperature: 52° (which probably meant it was in the high 40s when I got in). And it wasn't until yesterday afternoon that I heard they'd covered the pool I'd swam in to try to heat it back up: the water temperature was around 75° at noon... it's better to learn this after the fact.

Today wasn't much better, but we're were in the other pool where the water temp was up in the low 80s...

And I'll finish up this entry with a joke from Gilead:
Person 1: AB, CD goldfish
Person 2: L, MNO goldfish
(and online search produced further lines, but that's what's in the book).

hasta...


Now we are shivering, blue ice is glittering (cold, cold, cold)
Cold is the color of crystal
The snowlight that falls from the heavenly skies
Catch me and let me dive under
For I want to swim in the pools of your eyes

No comments: