Saturday, November 11, 2006

On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again

I'm in Orlando at the moment, in an ExtendedStay America on International Drive near the convention center. I drove back down here from Gainesville after the meet, to break up today's drive (and I didn't want to deal with football traffic there for today's game--yes, double entendre intended on "there").

Yesterday went well. The Texas men beat Florida in their swimming dual, and the drive up was good. I got caught in some accident-related traffic in West Palm Beach (a van flipped over on its side and closed 2 of 3 lanes of traffic), but otherwise, it was smooth sailing. I even arrived around 10 minutes before the meet started, so perfect timing. The drive was eased by me listening to To Kill a Mockingbird, also--which I'll hopefully finish up today...


Notes from the trip:

  • Bumper sticker: I wish I was the person my dog thinks I am
  • There are some pro-life billboards between Orlando and Ocala (stuff like life begins before birth, etc. which made me want to see a few pro-choice ones, as well).
  • If one chooses to stay at ExtendStay here in O-Town (thanks Hotwire), be forewarned: there are two here on I-Drive, one right in front of the other and that look like their 2 buildings are the same, big hotel. You are most likely staying at the ES America which is in behind the ES Deluxe--and there's not really any signage to let one know that. Why they're set this way, and with what I would think is the wrong hotel in front (the one with a lower turnover rate), I don't know.
  • My SunPass appears to be working (i.e. cops did not come causing after me last night when I used it).
  • The snowbirds are coming! (Or at least a saw a few large, bus-sized RVs with cars being towed behind them.)
Well, check-out time approaches, and I should be getting back to driving...


I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.

-spoken by Atticus Finch in Chapter 11, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee




On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
And I can't wait to get on the road again

No comments: